Successfully completing this course meets the training requirements when applying for a Concealed Weapons Permit in the State of South Carolina.
There is NO fee to the state of South Carolina for the CWP application fee effective August 15, 2021.
Course attendees must be at least 18 years of age, and not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. (Must be 21 to submit CWP application to SLED.)
The class includes Laws & Firearms Proficiency.
- Statutory and case law regarding deadly force
- South Carolina laws governing firearms and concealed weapons permits
- Proper firearms storage practices that deny access to children
- Prohibited carry locations
- Liability and responsibility issues relating to firearms
- Proper interaction with Law Enforcement Officers
- Firearms safety rules
- Carrying “cocked & locked”
- Firearm retention techniques overview
- Handgun safety, manipulation, and operation
- Concealment techniques and drawing from concealment
- Range qualification
- Written exam
- All required forms and fingerprint cards are included with the class fee.
Firearms proficiency portion is not required for persons exempt according to Section 23-31-210(4) of the SC Code of Laws. However, you must still pass the written test, which covers all other items listed above.
- The firearms qualification portion of this course is held outdoors. Please dress weather-appropriate on class day and bring appropriate outerwear during colder weather.
- Open-toed shoes and low-cut necklines are not allowed on the firing line for males or females. Please wear a shirt where the neckline touches your collar bone.
- A ball cap or visor is recommended.
- Eye and hearing protection are required and can be purchased or rented at the range if you do not have your own.
- Your own pistol is suggested, but not required. You can rent one from the range. (You must be 21 to rent a handgun.)
- A minimum of 50 rounds of FACTORY LOADED ammunition for your firearm is required. NO HAND RELOADED AMMO for this course. We do have ammunition for purchase at the range. If you rent a pistol from the range, you MUST purchase your ammo from the range.
- Extra magazines for your pistol are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- You will need an ON THE WAIST holster that fits your carry pistol AND stays open once the firearm is removed from the holster for this course AND A STURDY BELT. (No cross draw, small of the back, or shoulder holsters.)
- Lunch break will be approximately 30-45 minutes and is on your own. Please bring a bag lunch or you can purchase lunch nearby.
- All required forms and fingerprint cards are included with the class fee. We do the fingerprinting here – no need to make time to go have them done elsewhere. You CAN make an appointment with IdentoGo to have your prints done digitally and turn your application in at one of the IdentoGo locations throughout the state. See information on the SLED website at this link.
Persons exempt from the firearms proficiency portion:
- Persons who have a current SC CWP and would like a refresher on South Carolina laws of self-defense.
- Out-of-state retired law enforcement officers or South Carolina retired law enforcement officers whose certification has expired (must submit proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that included firearms training as a graduation requirement when submitting your CWP application).
- Former military personnel who completed basic military training (must provide a copy of your DD-214 to SLED when submitting your CWP application).
- ACTIVE military personnel (including SCNG) are exempt from taking the entire class. Contact us for guidance on how to apply for your permit.
- Other persons listed as exempt according to Section 23-31-210(4) of the SC Code of Laws (please contact SLED directly to confirm your exemption if you are unsure).
Class size is limited to 10 students. Payment is required when you register to secure your spot in class. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express accepted. No refunds are given for no-shows or cancellations less than 1 week prior to class date. Class Refund & Cancellation Policy.
Class fee is $85 (10% off for range members – please CONTACT US before you register to get the discount code.) for the whole class, $55 if you don’t need the firearms proficiency portion. (See above section for exemptions.) When you choose “classroom only” during the registration process if you are opting out of the shooting portion it will reduce the fee to $55 before you enter your credit card information.