Successfully completing this course meets the training requirements when applying for a Concealed Weapons Permit in the State of South Carolina.
The South Carolina CWP application fee is a separate fee ($50) payable directly to SLED.
Course attendees must be at least 18 years of age, and not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. (Must be 21 to submit CWP application to SLED.)
The class includes Laws & Firearms Proficiency.
- Statutory and case law regarding deadly force
- South Carolina laws governing firearms and concealed weapons permits
- Proper firearms storage practices that deny access to children
- Prohibited carry locations
- Liability and responsibility issues relating to firearms
- Proper interaction with Law Enforcement Officers
- Firearms safety rules
- Handgun safety, manipulation, and operation
- Concealment techniques and drawing from concealment
- Range qualification
- Written exam
- All required forms and fingerprint cards are included with the class fee.
Firearms proficiency portion is not required for persons exempt according to Section 23-31-210(4) of the SC Code of Laws. However, you must still pass the written test, which covers all other items listed above.
Please note that while the “range” is closed for construction the firearms proficiency portion (“live fire”) will be conducted at an alternate location (2 exits from our location) immediately following the completion of the classroom portion. We will travel to the alternate location as a group.
- The firearms qualification portion of this course is held outdoors. Please dress weather appropriate on class day and bring appropriate outerwear during colder weather. Open-toed shoes and low cut necklines are not allowed on the firing line for males or females. Please wear a shirt where the neckline touches your collar bone. A ball cap or visor is recommended. Eye and hearing protection is required and can be purchased or rented at the range if you do not have your own.
- Your own pistol is suggested, but not required. If you do not have a pistol, please make arrangements with us IN ADVANCE to ensure one is available to you for your use during live-fire qualification.
- A minimum of 50 rounds of FACTORY LOADED ammunition for your firearm is required. NO HAND RELOADED AMMO for this course. We do have ammunition for purchase at the range.
- Extra magazines for your pistol are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- You will need an ON THE WAIST holster that fits your carry pistol for this course AND A STURDY BELT. (No cross draw, small of the back, or shoulder holsters.
- Lunch break will be approximately 30 minutes and is on your own. Please bring a bag lunch or you can purchase lunch nearby.
- All required forms and fingerprint cards are included with the class fee. The $50 fee payable to the STATE for the permit is NOT included. We do the fingerprinting here – no need to make time to go have them done elsewhere. You CAN make an appointment with IdentoGo to have your prints done digitally and turn your application in at one of the IdentoGo locations throughout the state. See information on the SLED web site at this link.
Persons exempt from the firearms proficiency portion:
- Persons who have a current SC CWP and would like a refresher South Carolina laws of self-defense
- Out-of-state retired law enforcement officers or South Carolina retired law enforcement officers whose certification has expired (must submit proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that included firearms training as a graduation requirement when submitting your CWP application)
- Current/former military personnel who completed basic military training (must provide DD-214 when submitting your CWP application)
- Other persons listed as exempt according to Section 23-31-210(4) of the SC Code of Laws (please contact SLED directly to confirm your exemption if you are unsure)
Class size is limited to 10 students. Payment is required when you register to secure your spot in class. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express accepted. No refunds are given for no-shows or cancellations less than 1 week prior to class date. Class Refund & Cancellation Policy.
Class fee is $80 ($70 for range members – Range members, please CONTACT US before you register to get the discount code.) for the whole class, $50 if you don’t need the firearms proficiency portion. (See above section for exemptions.) Please be sure to choose “classroom only” during the registration process if you are opting out of the shooting portion.
Upcoming Class Dates:
All classes are from 8 AM – 6 PM unless otherwise specified. Registration opens approximately 2 months before class. Registration links below.
Our classes book up quickly. If our classes are all full, please check this page often, check our Facebook Events, or sign up for our newsletter for updates. We add classes as our schedule allows.
The date will be clickable when registration is open (approximately 1 month prior to the class).
|Saturday Classes||Wednesday Classes|
|January 9, 2021||January 20, 2021|
|February 13, 2021||February 17, 2021|
|March 13, 2021||March 17, 2021|
|April 10, 2021||April 21, 2021|
|May 8, 2021||May 19, 2021|
|June 12, 2021||June 16, 2021|
|July 10, 2021||July 21, 2021|
|August 14, 2021||August 18, 2021|
|September 11, 2021||September 15, 2021|
|October 9, 2021||October 20, 2021|
|November 13, 2021||November 17, 2021|
|NO DECEMBER CLASSES||NO DECEMBER CLASSES|