This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and provides information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense. This course is for law-abiding adult experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm). Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, or passing a Pre-Course Assessment. Students need the following skills BEFORE attending this course:
- State and demonstrate the fundamental rules for safe gun handling.
- Proper loading, cocking, uncocking, and unloading procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to shoot five-shot groups no more than nine-inches in diameter.
- Demonstrate how to determine the sight adjustment needed to move a shot group.
- Demonstrate how to properly clean a pistol safely.
In this course, students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn:
- basic defensive shooting skills
- strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation
- firearms and the law
- how to choose a handgun for self-defense
- continued opportunities for skill development.
Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and course completion certificate. This course is REQUIRED if you plan to take Personal Protection Outside the Home later. This course does NOT meet the requirements for a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit application. Class sizes are limited, and payment is required in advance to secure your seat. No refunds are given for no-shows or cancellations less than 1 week prior to class date.
Course fee: $150 ($135 for range members & TWAW members – call or email for how to get the discounted rate)
Date: Saturday, October 27, 2018 8 AM – 5 PM
Contact the instructor if you have further questions.
Class sizes are limited, and payment is required at the time of registration. No refunds are given for no-shows or cancellations less than 1 week prior to class date.
Your spot is not confirmed until payment is received.